- Please submit only one entry per writer.
- Each entry can be up to 3,000 words. Stories over this length will not be considered.
- There can be more than one author of a story, and if that story is a winner, the cash prize will be shared equally between the authors.
- Stories must be original.
- Entries must be written in, or translated into, English.
- Members of the judging panel, and people employed by the partners - Department of Industry, Innovation Science, Research and Tertiary Education, National Year of Reading and Tasmanian Writers Centre - are not eligible to enter.
- Winning and highly commended entries from last year's (2011) Adult Learners' Week competition "it's never too late ... to learn to read" cannot be resubmitted in this competition.
- The closing date is 6 August, 2012.
- Entries can be submitted via an online form to National Year of Reading by 5pm on Monday 6 August, 2012 (www.love2read.org.au) as a Word document or text file only (no other files such as jpgs or scanned versions etc will be accepted). Entries that are posted will not be accepted. Late entries will not be accepted.
- The winners will be informed on Thursday 23 August, 2012, with the public announcement of the winners taking place on Saturday 25 August, 2012 during The Reading Hour in Sydney.
- Cash prizes will be paid direct into the winners' bank accounts by electronic transfer no later than 30 September 2012 (preferred method of payment). Alternatively, a cheque may be issued.
- The authors of the winning entries must give permission for their story to be available for free use on partner websites, in print (newspapers), for audio recordings, etc, with the proviso that the author is always acknowledged.
- How closely the story fits the competition theme "it's never too late... to learn to read"
- The quality of the writing
- The ability of the story to inspire, excite and challenge the reader
- How well the story supports the goal of encouraging more adults to learn to read